The author of a book we're currently reading in my Asian American class visited us yesterday. During the ninety minutes of interactions, I realized how much I have been taking my Berkeley education for granted. It's amazing how many opportunities are available here and how often I've neglected to uphold a positive attitude in welcoming them. Up until now, I viewed the Letters & Science breadth requirements as really a bother. I mean.. given the choice, I probably wouldn't have taken many of the offered courses designed to 'engage and expose students to a breadth of interdisciplinary knowledge' (I picture the department promoting something along those lines). These courses were treated as daunting tasks to be completed instead of experiences to be enjoyed and only this semester have I (sort of) grasped the difference between sitting in a class and engaging in a class. Looking back, I've accumulated a myriad of information(randomness?) - however little it may be haha - within a span of two years. Some educated me of my own cultural history to which I previously held an embarrassing state of disinterest. Some really intrigued me, like how optimal results in productivity is achieved through both KSAs and motivation (yay ugba). And others.. haha others helped me develop contemptuousness to the advents of new media (jk! well kind of.. it's pretty annoying when the seven categories of newsworthiness pop into my head whenever I watch/read news -thanks media studies). So overall, I'm thankful Haas didn't plop students into business classes right away. I guess I'll just have to see how this concoction of assorted knowledge may deem useful in the future.

something new
out of the old
No comments:
Post a Comment